Thursday Island Service Information
Wakai Waian Healing provides Psychology, Counselling and mental health focused services to remote and rural areas of Australia focusing on the social and emotional wellbeing of Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal peoples.
With funding support from the North Queensland Primary Health Network Wakai Waian Healing has opened it’s Thursday Island Office which is located at 40 Douglas St, Thursday Island.
General Service Information
- We can provide services in both community settings or in the client’s home.
- Our services can occur either as face to face individual sessions, group sessions and via telephone, Skype or other videoconferencing technology.
- Our services will be provided during regular standard business hours however with the flexibility to provide services on occasions outside these times depending on need.
Outer Island Services
Wakai Waian Healing is committed to providing services to the outer island regions of the Torres Strait. Further details will be provided on this service in the near future. Any questions or for more information please contact us on the below recorded details.
We believe employing local staff is important, thus we employ local Mental Health Worker Trainee’s and support staff, who are supplemented with fly in-fly out experienced Psychologists and Counsellors. In order to provide choice, workers will be male, female, identify as Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander and Non-Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander. More information on our staff can be found here.
- A resident of the Torres Strait including outer island regions.
- Are experiencing low to moderate signs or symptoms of emotional or mental health distress.
- Are between 12 and 70 years of age. (Outside of these ages will require special consultation with the Wakai Waian Healing Team who can be contacted via the below recorded details)
- You have been diagnosed with acute mental health needs, or are under the care of public mental health (i.e. Acute Care or Continuing Care Team, Child Mental Health Services).
- You have been assessed as having a long term chronic and complex mental health need.
- If you are involved in workers compensation or motor vehicle compensation proceedings.
- If your needs can be met via accessing Better Access (Medicare) services.
For those eligible this is a free and funded service.
For those not eligible and still wish to receive services from the Wakai Waian Healing organisation or require specialist services, a fee may apply.
Wakai Waian Healing is committed to providing an effective, responsive safe, culturally respectful service. If you have any feedback you wish to provide our service this can be done by contacting us.
Accessing our Service and Making a Referral
How to make a referral or access or service
Community Service or Primary Healthcare Providers
Community Services or Primary Health care Providers may choose the following options;
- Complete the below Wakai Waian Healing referral form and send via the below details.
- Encourage potential client to self refer.
- Encourage potential client to access their local treating General Practictioner to have a GP Mental Health Plan completed
The following can be done with GP Mental Health Plans or other GP referral;
- Sent directly to Wakai Waian Healing Intake service via the below details;
- Sent to the stepped care central intake/assessment/referral
provider, (Neami National-Connect to Wellbeing);
- Sent via the North Queensland Primary Health Network rediCASE referral system.
Family and Self Referral
Wakai Waian Healing is very willing to receive family referrals and/or self referrals. This can be done by the following;
- Clicking on the link and sending the below completed referral form.
- Going to your local General Practitioner and requesting a referral to our service;
- Talking with any other community service or Primary Health care provided;
- Or just coming down to or contacting directly the Wakai Waian Healing Office on the below details.
Important Information: Wakai Waian Healing is here to support the community in many ways, however we are not a crisis response service. Mental Health related crisis in the first instance should be directed to the local Acute Care Team, or emergency services by ringing 000.
Regardless of who, a referral can be sent at anytime to Wakai Waian Healing Intake Services via the following:
Fax: (07) 4829 4011
Postal: P.O. Box 767, Thursday Island, QLD, 4875.
In person: Unit 3, 40 Douglas St, Thursday Island QLD, 4875.
Further Information or Questions
Freecall: 1800 732 850 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Privacy, Confidentiality and Safety
Your contact with us is treated as confidential and we respect your rights to a private, confidential and safe service. Further information on our Privacy, Confidentiality and Information Management Policies can be requested via the above details.
Funding support provided by